• Meerghat

Meerghat

Back

The former name of this ghat was Jarasandha Ghat, which is mentioned in the Girvanapadmanjari. Around 1735 AD, the huge fort located at Ghat and the Ghat was built by Mir Rustam Ali, the then Faujdar of Kashi. Due to the construction of Mir Rustam Ali Ghat, it was later called Mir Ghat. It is first mentioned by Prinsep by the name Mirghat. The second major temple on the ghat is that of Vishalakshi Devi. This is the second temple of Kashi, which has been constructed in the South Indian temple architectural tradition consisting of Gopuram and Dravid Shikhar. Vishalakshadevi is one of the Nav Gauris of Kashi.